Some have suggestions I don't agree with.
Some I love.
One day I know, I will blink and my little boy will be a man.
When that day comes, I want to know that I've done my best to teach him all the important life lessons that will shape him into a great man.
So here is MY list:
1. The kitchen is for boys too! Learn how to cook and you will not only feed yourself, but you can impress a date with your dinner-making skills! No more frozen meals, YAY!
2. Manners and being polite will get you everywhere in life.
3. Keep great hygiene. Shower daily, keep your nails trim, and use deodorant. Do not go overboard with the aftershave or cologne.
4. Understand how to use basic tools and make minor car and household repairs. This will save you in so many future situations.
5. Violence is never the answer. Never hit a woman. Keep your hands to yourself in every dispute, unless you are defending yourself against an attack. Remember son, boys use fists, men use words.
6. What you do when no one can see you, defines you as a man.
7. Never be afraid to express your emotions. Do not harden your heart and hide your feelings because society tells you that real men don’t show emotions or share feelings. Real men are not afraid to show who they are emotionally; it is a sign of inner strength, not of weakness.
8. Do not fear money. Learn how to handle it. Balance a checkbook; keep track of your earnings, spending, investments, and savings.
9. Respect ALL religions, races, cultures, and orientations. Understand that just because someone isn’t like you, doesn’t make them wrong in any way, just different.
10. Be honest. But use your better judgment. If your honesty could affect someone negatively in a harmful or detrimental way, keep it to yourself. Honesty is a virtue, but it can also be a double-edged sword.
11. There are certain words that are NEVER okay for you to say. Retard is one of them. Learn what the others are, and why you should never say them.
12. Follow your dreams, and do not let the obstacles or struggles you face hold you back. Life is an adventure, live it!
13. Call your mother! Though every day would be nice, I know that life gets in the way. Remember that I long to hear your voice and see you, no matter what.
14. Whatever choices you make in life, whatever dreams or aspirations you have, know that I support you 100%, and always will.